Click on the image
to view it enlarged
The Kennon family home
built in 1685.
Locally known as the “Old Brick House”
Colonial Heights, Virginia
The old brick house in
Colonial Heights is thought by some to be the oldest in Virginia.
It is located between Swift Creek and Appomattox River. The peninsula
on which it stands is sometimes referred to as "Conjuror's
Neck," because of an old Indian conjuror that used to live
The Brick House was built in 1685 by Richard Kennon, an English
gentleman of wealth, whose family received large land grants in
Virginia. Kennon came to Virginia prior to 1670, and became a
merchant of Bermuda Hundred; he also represented Henrico County
in the House of Burgesses. Richard Kennon, Jr. was also a member
of the House of Burgesses. He married the daughter of Col. Robert
Bolling, the emigrant, and his second wife, the former Anne Stith.
Richard's sister was married to John Bolling, half-brother of
Richard's wife - John was the son of Col. Robert Bolling and his
first wife Jane Rolfe. They lived at Cobb's.
The Old Brock House was
witness to the War Between the States. Confederate Fort Clifton
was built just a few hundred yards away up river. On May 5, 1864,
the residents witnessed a battle between Union naval gunboats
and Fort Clifton. The Confederates scored a direct hit on the
boiler of the USS Brewster. During the Siege of Petersburg, Union
artillery on the opposite shore of the Appomattox occasionally
shelled Fort Clifton and the Old Brick House.
The house was consumed by a fire in 1879, but most of the original
walls still stand. Undoubtedly, it is the oldest home in Chesterfield
County and by far, the oldest brick home in Colonial Heights.
It passed from the Kennon family soon after. The Comstock family
acquired the property in 1909, restored the old house, and made
it their home for more than half a century. During this time,
Conjurer's Neck was known to local residents as "Comstock's."